Posts tagged ‘Asia Pacific Network of Sex Workers’
The Asia Pacific Network of Sex Workers and UNFPA are holding a consultation on Sex Work and HIV in the Asia and the Pacific Region in Pattaya Thailand. On October 10 and 11th the APNSW held a meeting of its members to prepare for the consultation.
Sex workers from Indonesia, Myanmar, Pakistan, India, Thailand, Fiji, Papua, New Guinea; Cambodia and China are attending.
On the first day each country reported on human rights, health and law. Although there are some variations in details the same circumstances
- Raids and arrests
- Violence and rape by police
- Unfair practices and exploitation by the people sex workers turn to for protection from arrests and violence.
- Condoms confiscated and used as evidence
- Lack of access to justice
- Lack of mechanisms for challenging violations of rights
- Unfriendly and inappropriate health services persist.
Some messages are being developed. So far they are :
- Lack of access to primary health care.
- Sex work is not trafficking
- Trafficking is not sex work
- Sex work is not for only women
Several sex workers are presenting at the consultation over the next couple of days. Each afternoon sex workers will meet in country groups with the delegates from their country.
Reacting to a peripheries post on microbicides, Cheryl Overs commented “These [definition of microbicides] are a hint of the skewed propaganda about microbicides and an insight into the absence of consideration of how they will affect the millions of sex workers worldwide. Sex workers will lose any hope of using a 99% effective product against STIs, HIV and unwanted pregnancies, condoms” adding that, “The idea that sex workers will buy and use a combination of different products for different orifices/sex acts is absurd. Especially when one of those products will still have to be a condom.” Cheryl is summing up various concerns expressed in the “Sex work and the new era of HIV prevention and care” report she produced for the Asia Pacific Network of Sex Workers (APNSW).